NISBA's mission is to support quality education in a safe environment from early childhood through life in accordance with the Tribe's needs for cultural and economic well-being in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and communities as distinct cultural and governmental entities. NISBA will consider the spiritual, mental, physical and cultural aspects of the whole person within the familly, community and tribal context.
NISBA's vision is to have empowered school board members, parents and other stakeholders exercising effective stewardship of Indian education in cooperation with their respective tribal governments.
- To protect and maintain education of Indians as a federal trust responsibility.
- To promote quality educational opportunity for American Indian people.
- To serve as a watchdog over administrative and congressional actions and advocating for necessary change.
- To assist local boards by providing definitive training and technical assistance.
- To establish a communication network and information sharing service.
- To assist member boards with local needs and issues.
- To maintain close working relationships with Indian tribes, national Indian organizations, and other appropriate agencies.
Effective Governance Workshop scheduled for December 9 & 10, 2011 has been canelled